The XXII Congress of Association Internationale de Littérature Compararée (AILC) / International Comparative Literature Association (ICLA) will be held at University of Macau, Macau SAR, China, from the 29th July to the 2nd August 2019.
The main theme of the 2019 Congress will be:
Literature of the World and the Future of Comparative Literature
with the following sub-themes:
1. Conversations across Differences
2. Diverse Languages of Comparison
3. Literary, Cultural, and Temporal (Un)Translatability
4. The Multiple Histories of Comparative Literature
5. Canons, Genres, and Media
6. Interdisciplinarity in Comparative Literature
7. Theorizing the Literary across Cultures
8. World Literature and China
9. Global Humanities from an Eastern Perspective
10. Internationalization of Chinese Literary Studies
11. Immigrant Literature
12. Circulation of Information in East Asia: Journalism, Fiction, and Electronic Textuality
13. The “Sinophone” as a Counterdiscourse
14. Memoir Literature in East Asia in the Modern Period
15. The Obsession With International Literary Prizes: For Whom Is the Reward Important?
This will be a great opportunity for members of the ICLA to gather together again for the General Assembly and for discussing important issues in Comparative Literature and literary studies in general. We encourage all with scholarly interest in comparative literature to join the ICLA and to submit proposals for panel sessions or for individual paper presentations.
For procedures of joining the ICLA and becoming a member, please visit the membership page of the ICLA website at
Proposals can be of two kinds / Les propositions de sujets peuvent être de deux natures:
Individual proposals to be arranged by the organizing committee into groups as Congress sessions, and Panel proposals that are composed of at least 4 speakers, and a large group of panel presentations on one theme can be arranged as several linked panels on several days. Those who propose panels should be responsible for contacting speakers and organizing the panel or panels in groups.
Individual proposal submission due：1 March 2019
Panel proposal submission due: 1 March 2019
Proposals are accepted in English, French, Chinese and Portuguese and must be submitted online at the Congress website icla2019.medmeeting.org. Late proposals will be considered only when space permits.